Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Visitation-Family-Ties

The idea of family is important to me. Maybe because mine is so disjointed it's hard to call it a family. However, the concept remains strong in my heart. I may not have my own children but, I am helping raise three amazing kids. Sabrina, Talia, and Mikayla mean the absolute world to me, and I treat them no different than I would if I had my own children.

Whether a family is together or the majority of which are divorced, family is family. No one or side should have to feel like they aren't appreciated as just that...a family. However, it seems that this ideal does not hold true to everyone, as it should. Some decide when they will dictate when the "other side" can see the children. Most of the time, not even coming up with logical excuses as to why the children aren't coming or are being shafted out of time with the "other side." I've had to deal with this thanks to the powers that be. Everything from a basketball game, to a car wash, or an unannounced musical competition have been the culprits of loosing precious time with these children. And the idea of letting the "other side" know with almost no warning or making it a 15 year old's responsibility to relay the message is atrocious.

I wish people would get their heads screwed on straight. It's not like we live close enough to where we could do or partake in the issues that stunt our visitations. No, we live over an hour away, making it damn near impossible to do this. Another issue that bothers me about this is even though two of these children did not come (physically) from either "parent"...one did. And how dare one parent belittle the parenting of the other. The child was not immaculately conceived and therefore BOTH parents should have a say in what this child does...not one. The "other side" is involved and has been nothing short of a good parent.

I have managed to keep my mouth shut for almost 8 years and every other weekend it is becoming more and more difficult to do so. I know these are not my children but someone needs to take a stand and do what is right, by them! If that means laying out verbally the screwed up concepts of the parent of residence, oh well. They have yet to deal with someone like me who will not only out-smart, out-parent and out-wit them but someone who would give up their life for children not of her womb!

I guess my past as done one thing right. I was blessed with a big heart and enough love to go around to protect and raise children in a loving, respectful, and functional home.


1 comment:

  1. A caveat: If she is not legally required to grant visitation, you may want to continue holding your tongue.

    ReplyDelete