Saturday, April 30, 2011

A night at the Movies

For those of you that don't know about "Fringe Films" you really should. When I was working at this place, often referred to as School of Hell on Chenango St. I met Jamie O. He was the Music teacher. Now, I can remember for almost 5 years that was the one "special class" I always wanted to attend. I was excited to see what kind of amazing things he would come up with, introducing me to many things a long the way, such as: Rage Against the Machine, Anime movies, O Brother Where are thou, his music, and then...his movies.
I went to the first filming of the short film "From Dreg to Droog" and "Showdown at Sundown" a little over a year ago and loved them both. The artistic ways and filming scenes with such finesse they are astounding to watch.
Tonight I was able to go to a double feature, which was basically a triple feature due to a "short". I had unfortunately missed the premiere of their movie "Lunatic" so making it up tonight was on my agenda.
Tonight I was able to view the very funny short "My Baby". Mark Beretta (Co-Founder of Fringe Films, with Jamie O), was hysterical. A quick little jaunt into the "dark" when dealing with what is apparently a little demon spawn. 
Next up was the comedy "Jive Honkies". There's nothing quite like a millennium version of the 70's Blaxploitation movies (AKA: "Foxy Brown," "Shaft," "Cleopatra Jones," etc.). The guys did a terrific job and offered many laughs throughout...no wonder why kids are scared of the dentist...lol!
The final film, "Rummy" was a dark twist on an already dark subject of alcoholism. Jamie and Mark offered quite a few pondering moments as the lives of Buster and Rube spiral out of control into the abyss known as booze. While a more risque movie, it was definitely thought provoking. The foreshadowing was epic. And, without giving anything away, there are certain scenes in which were shot with such focus on detail, it was hard not to feel like you were there with these characters in their turmoil.
I would like to say, I had a great time tonight and hope to see some more great movies by Fringe Films. Jamie and Mark, my hat is off to you! Job well done!!

Here's the "Rummy Trailer" from Youtube

You can follow Fringe Films on:
Youtube.com (TheFringeFilms)
Facebook.com (Fringe Film Studios...Page)
&
TheFringeFilms.com



No comments:

Post a Comment